Exchanging Miracle Mud (The entire process should take approximately 30 minutes to one hour)
MIRACLE MUD® is the original mud substrate that is specifically made to be used in an EcoSystem Aquarium® Filter. This special substrate has two main functions: (1) it is an advanced filter medium that also acts as a denitrifying filter and (2) it enriches the water with trace elements and other vital substances. MIRACLE MUD® efficiently filters the water, as it houses anaerobic microorganisms that remove nitrate and other toxins through the process of de-nitrification – reducing the nitrate concentration to negligible levels. MIRACLE MUD® has been carefully formulated to include all the essential trace elements, minerals and components necessary to maintain a successful aquarium. MIRACLE MUD® will continually replenish the trace element and mineral concentration in the aquarium water to create an ideal environment for all the inhabitants. Proven benefits from the usage of MIRACLE MUD® include:
- Reversal of Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE) in fish
- Restoration and maintenance of the fish and corals’ health and vibrant coloration
- Requires very little maintenance
- Increased compatibility among the inhabitants in various types of aquariums (fish-only tanks, coral-only tanks, small-polyp stony [SPS] coral reef tanks).
- Prepare water as if doing a large water change. Keep it in a container with a small pump running at least overnight to ensure that all chemicals are thoroughly precipitated.
- Find out how much Miracle Mud you would need from tables below.
- Drain enough of clean aquarium water for step 6 into a clean container.
- Turn off the main pump.
- Drain the water from the sump all the way down to the bottom. We recommend that you siphon off all detritus that settles on the MIRACLE MUD® bed as you drain the water from the sump.
- Divide the mud bed into two even sections. Remove one section completely.
- Place the new MIRACLE MUD® in the empty section, level it, and place a plastic bag or plate on top of this new mud section.
- Slowly pour the clean aquarium water from the container onto the plastic bag or plate, making sure the water does not hit the MIRACLE MUD® directly.
- Once the water in the sump reaches the desired level (10 to 12 inches ~ 30 cm), remove the plastic bag or plate.
- The water should be clear, if you follow these steps carefully. Turn on the pump.
- Add the new pre mix water for the rest of water need as if you are doing water change.