MIRACLE MUD® is the original mud substrate that is specifically made to be used in an EcoSystem Aquarium® Filter. This special substrate has two main functions: (1) it is an advanced filter medium that also acts as a denitrifying filter and (2) it enriches the water with trace elements and other vital substances. MIRACLE MUD® efficiently filters the water, as it houses anaerobic microorganisms that remove nitrate and other toxins through the process of de-nitrification – reducing the nitrate concentration to negligible levels. MIRACLE MUD® has been carefully formulated to include all the essential trace elements, minerals and components necessary to maintain a successful aquarium. MIRACLE MUD® will continually replenish the trace element and mineral concentration in the aquarium water to create an ideal environment for all the inhabitants. Proven benefits from the usage of MIRACLE MUD® include:
- Reversal of Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE) in fish
- Restoration and maintenance of the fish and corals’ health and vibrant coloration
- Requires very little maintenance
- Increased compatibility among the inhabitants in various types of aquariums (fish-only tanks, coral-only tanks, small-polyp stony [SPS] coral reef tanks).
- Place the appropriate amount of MIRACLE MUD® into Chamber #2 of the EcoSystem Aquarium® Filter. Level it to create an evenly distributed, 1-inch (~ 3.0 cm) thick mud bed when packed down (at least 1 to 1.5 inches of dry Miracle Mud), to ensure adequate de-nitrification takes place.
- Place plastic bag or plate on top of the MIRACLE MUD® bed. Slowly pour water on top of the plastic bag or plate, allowing water to overflow onto the mud bed. Do not pour water directly onto the mud bed. This will stir up the mud, causing it to become suspended in the water, making the water cloudy. When this happens, it will take a long time for the suspended mud to settle. Once the desired water level is reached (about 10 to 12 inches ~ 30 cm of water), remove the plastic bag or plate from the EcoSystem Aquarium® Filter.
- Allow the MIRACLE MUD® to settle to the bottom (if you follow the above directions carefully and don’t accidentally pour water directly onto the MIRACLE MUD® bed, the water should not be cloudy). Once it has settled, remove any floating particles with a net or paper towel.
- Turn on pump at recommended flow rate – please see table below.
* The flow rate shown in the table is highly recommended for the EcoSystem filters in order to optimize the efficiency of the EcoSystem Method. However, the current** and/or flow rate within the main display aquarium is totally different/independent of the flow rate that flow through the EcoSystem filters.
** The flow rate and/or current within the main display aquarium can be ranging from as little as 10 times and up to 40 times of the aquarium water volume depending on the aquarium inhabitants that you keep. For example, for the sps corals dominated reef aquarium the gentle current / flow rate within the tank must be very high while the soft and lps corals dominated reef aquarium would like low flow rate and gentle current.
- Cycle the tank for 6 to 8 weeks. During the second week, add macro-algae (we recommend Chaetomorpha Caulerpa) or plants. Tie the macro-algae and/or plant strands to small pieces of live rock or other rock, with fishing line. Scatter the macro-algae/plant “rocks” over the MIRACLE MUD® bed. We recommend that you prepare a minimum of 10 to 20 macro-algae/plant rocks to avoid a macro-algae/plant mass die off.
- After the cycling period is ended, fish that have been quarantined may be introduced into the aquarium.